Friday, January 8, 2010

The Basics

!ALL NAMES ARE FICTITIOUS!

I drive a van for a small, non-emergency medical transportation company. I estimate we have 80 vans (70 drivers) and no more than 100 employees. We transport ambulatory, wheelchair-bound & stretcher clientele. We haul people to and from dialysis facilities and medical appointments. We also transport folks being discharged from hospitals, taking them to rehabilitation facilities or to their homes. We do not take people to emergency rooms (note "non-emergency" in the first sentence).

Management seems ultra-nice, as does all the office staff (dispatchers, customer service representatives, etc.). The Operations Manager has come to my aid three times, and for that I am forever grateful. My fellow drivers are a helpful, sympathetic lot - a wonderful group of guys (and gals).

The vans we use are Ford E-250 models, most equipped with hydraulically-operated side-lifts and a few with rear-lifts. Vans equipped with side-lifts are also equipped with stretchers.

Our company is unique in that it pays drivers based upon commission, rather than hourly; in my opinion an excellent idea because this discourages malingering. Drivers are also paid additional cents-per-mile, if the van is "loaded" (has a passenger). We are paid nothing for deadhead miles. Drivers are given a company credit card to purchase fuel, the cost of which is deducted from our pay - another great idea, because it encourages prudent driving.

Commission Structure:
$.55/loaded mile (this is adjusted in accordance with the price of fuel - for a brief period last year it was $.60/loaded mile)
$5.00 ambulatory client
$8.00 wheelchair client
$18.00 stretcher client
Occasionally the client will be accompanied by an "escort"; for this we receive no additional pay. However, if we "double up" (carry 2 clients) we are paid for both.

It works like this: I pick up Bessie Blump, who is confined to a wheelchair, and transport her 10 miles. I am paid $8.00 to load her and her wheelchair into the van + $5.50 ($.55/mile) to take her to her destination - a total of $13.50. Getting to Bessie costs me money (I pay for the fuel) and time (I am paid by commission).

No comments:

Post a Comment